Wednesday 12 November 2008

Happy Birthday 'MoMo'


Good Morning, or whatever is the best greeting to you, in your part of the world!

Today, my Mum, 'MoMo', would have been 91 years of age! Hard to believe I know! There genuinely is not a day or thereabouts, that goes by, that I do not think of her! Interesting, the tidbit expression: 'You do not know what you have lost, until it is gone' - It is a most true bittid.

Also, with Remembrance Day on Nov 11th, this hits pretty close to home. My Mum's various family members gave of their lives, like so many others; so no better time than to Honour and Remember them for their sacrifices they made, for our Freedom! Same with my Dad's family and friends of that vintage; they were relentless in their fight for our Freedom.

The above photo is a picture of my Mum, my daughter, and myself taken in 2004.(You can refer to the tid posts of Nov 12/07 for some bit info if you wish). We have not changed much; save that my Mum, our 'MoMo', is no longer here, as she passed away in the summer of 2005. We have twin grandsons, age 2 years, (am a young Grandma!); and methinks, 'MoMo' would be a good name for the little ones to call me. Easy and simple to say; but more importantly, in memory to my Mum, since my children called my Mum, 'MoMo'.

My Mum was a courageous and feisty woman; she had to have been, as she had endured much in her later years. She was diagnosed with terminal cancer of the esophagus in 1998; however it went into remission, until her passing in 2005. Nonetheless, she was not able to swallow; so there was a 'feeding tube' surgically inserted down her throat and out through her stomach. That area of the stomach had a protective cap when not in use. In order for her to be fed, she was linked up to a machine (she called her 'dancing partner'), and the liquid nutrition (Ensure)was given to her via tubes. It took approx 1.5 hr per feeding; and there were 3 feedings per day; followed in between, with an hour approx of flushing / cleaning out the system with water. We would take her, her 'dancing partner', and her caregiver out as much as we could; as the change of scene did wonders for my Mum's spirits. ie Pasley in the summers; she totally LOVED that place! She also had ostereoposis; and her back looked like the 'Hunchback of Notre Dame'; however, she wore larger pieces of clothing; and was able to still look 'chic'.

Have included my Nov 12, 2007 post as an easy reference; because.....

"I had the luxury of sleeping in this am; until 8:45! Mind you, we watched a movie quite late into the night; so the morning arrived quickly! The movie, "Dunkirk" really hit home a message about the struggles, battles, and sacrifices, made during the Second World War. Very timely, re: November 11, Rememberance Day.

There is a huge rain and wind storm swirling all around us. The winds are fierce; branches falling everywhere; just hope our tid cottage is still standing! Last year in November, the winds took down several trees; and "smushed" our bit sleeping cabin.

Wanted to remember my Mum's birthday; today if she were on earth, she would have been 90 years young!!! She had quite the life; and saw and lived through much. So, Mum, "Happy Birthday" - There is not a day that passes, that I do not think of you. Strange how you remember those who have gone, more so, had they still been living. Or with me, anyway. I did spend a lot of time with my Mum; so fortunately, I have happy memories of her!

Tidbit - You never know what you have lost, until it is gone from you. If you can, remember the loved ones in your lives, that are STILL alive. Make a genuine effort to restore broken relationships; before it is too late; because then, there will be a lament; on your part.

Bittid - Keeping a 'door open' is always best; however, there is the expression: "You can take a horse to water; but you can't make it drink". So very true!

To those who wish to have memories without a tragic lament, enjoy your loved ones while they are still living. Appreciate them now, because, when they are gone, they are gone.

The above photo is of my Mum, my daughter, and yours truly. Three generations!!!"

In closing, just want to reiterate 'Happy Birthday MoMo'; and at the appropriate tid time a bit later, will raise a glass of champagne to Mum (and Dad) and say 'Skal' and 'Absent Friends'. 'Absent Friends' is an old Norwegian custom; whereby you drink to, or toast someone who is elsewhere (could be dead or just not present at the time, that you are thinking about). 'Skal' means 'Cheers'. Am adding, "Thanks again, MoMo, for being my Mum!"

May be back a bittidz later today, if there is some extra special tidbitz to share with you.

God Bless.

No comments: