Tuesday 9 October 2007

Thanksgiving Blessings


Hi Hi, or Gobble Gobble!

We had a lovely Thanksgiving! Hope you all did as well!

We left Sat am, caught the ferry, and then were picked up by a Russian "cigar" hydrofoil (the island boat is out of commission for the time being; so we had to make alternate boat plans). What a sleek machine! And the owner is a lovely guy! We will utilize him if we are ever in a tid of an emergency!

We were fortunate with the weather to a degree. ie it was pouring with rain before we left; and then on the boat ride over, there was a lull in the downpour; and then when we had unpacked, lit a fire, it really started to pour! There was a huge wind; the waves out front were at least 12 to 15ft high; and that was close by! We enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday night, with a nice bottle of South African red wine. Our dinner menu (prepared already; so we just had to warm it up in the propane gas stove) was turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggies, and the dessert was great too! An apple galette tart, with chantilly cream, and a caramel sauce (warmed up, was delicious!). I love pumpkin pie; but this was good too. On Sunday night, we enjoyed a Costco shepherd's pie; and that hit the spot as well! The wind was ferocious all night Sat and Sunday; and the pine cones that kept falling on the roof, was quite frightening to our Blue. Lots of branches fell; but no trees like last year's damage, which took out the other bit sleeping cabin. On the other side of the island, the force of the winds took down a few trees and wiped out a water system. So, we were glad that we personally were not as severly hit again. We had to pick up our summer clothing, our perishable foods, and we closed down the place. The sun came out yesterday; and we actually sat out on the porch, in our "winter jackets!" LOL! Thank goodness for the 2 fireplaces; one in the main house and one in our bedroom...it was quite cool up there.

Tidbit - Appreciation is key! I remembered my parents; and what they did for us. Sometimes, you do not know what you have lost, until it is gone! Well, thanks go to my parents for having been a part of Pasley; and introducing us to that wonderful spot! It was a bittidz sad; because I miss my parents; and I was able to remember the happy Thanksgivings I spent with them! And then, when I became older, I did the Thanksgiving dinners, which involved many family members. My Aunt Steph and my Uncle Fenn; they are no longer here either. I remember that every Thanksgiving and Christmas, I always had to sit next to my Uncle Fenn; he was an "old windbag"....talked about history non stop...and I was fascinated by his knowledge! No one else appeared to be interested. He was a diplomat; so I was intrigued by his adventures! Of course, I was a child then; but I remember him and my Aunt with much feeling. As a tidbitz, our Glass Green Hatted Lady Head Vase, is named " Aunt Steph" in memory of her! I shared that in an earlier post about the pair of Ladies.

My grown up children had set their plans already; so I hope they enjoyed their Thanksgiving celebration. I am thankful for the happy memories of us all being gathered together, each and every Thanksgiving / Christmas dinners for so many years. And, I am glad that I did all that! Eventhough it was lots of work, it was fun!

Our lives have changed...that perhaps we are no longer doing the big preparations. My parents reached a stage in their lives, whereby I felt that they had done their best for me; and I wanted to give back, what they gave me. This particular Thanksgiving was just Alan and I and our Blue. We have no idea what Christmas will entail this year; perhaps it will be just us 3 again, or perhaps we will be genuinely welcomed to partake in, or be included in a family Christmas dinner.

Bittid - Appreciate each and every day; as in a "Thanksgiving" and reflect daily with a grateful heart. Praise Him in All Things.

God Bless.

No comments: