Saturday 15 March 2008

Here is to 'John'
















Good Evening,

It has been a quality day! This afternoon, a longstanding family friend dropped in; and we had a really nice visit. Lit a cosy fire and we were able to play a bit of 'catch up'. Am now enjoying a delicious glass of red wine (South African, you guessed it!)and the dinner is cooking in our oven. It smells soooooo good!

Will share the tale, as per my earlier posts of today.

Am 'creating' names; to make it easier for you to follow. 'John' was the friend that passed away. Some 7 summers ago, he and I 're-acquainted' ourselves on the Island where my family have always enjoyed spending the summers; away from the city. It was at a special annual 'Island Event'; and he was the houseguest, along with 2 other invited friends, of a couple, called 'Dick' and 'Jane'. Sadly, 'Jane' had been diagnosed that afternoon with terminal cancer. We knew she had her challenges and tests; but that was the final straw. At an otherwise social and happy 'Bohemian' event, there was, understandly a major damper on all those who, were privy to the deathly news. When the event was finished, I was invited back to 'Dick' and 'Jane's' cottage; of course, I accepted - I think we all needed to have a few stiff drinks. I had known 'Jane' since childhood and we had gone to each other's birthday parties (often held on the island). I always remember that at her birthday parties, she always had a 'doll' (like a Barbie doll) in the centre of her cake. I thought that was the 'real deal!' So imagine my appreciative delight, when I finally had one in my cake! I was the happiest kid going! Anyway, I tidbitzed a bittidz. Perhaps some of you can recall such memories with 'dolls' in cakes. And not, a live one, I might add! LOL!

Well, the nightcap went into several night caps. Fortunately, I had a flashlight (never leave home without one!) so, I was able to 'weave my way home' on foot, in the wee hours. I had been invited for lunch to 'Dick' and 'Jane's' the following day; and on 'island time'. Fine by me and my head. I showed up at 2:00 ish. Well, there was 'John'; plus the other guests, as well as 'Dick' and 'Jane'. The lunch continued into a dinner invitation; and then I was invited to spend the night with the 5 of them. I was 'on my own'; and had been 'single' for about 10 months; and, if you read my earlier blogs, you would know that the boyfriend I had gone out 'perpetually' with, for many years, was no longer a part of my life. (Actually, in hindsight, I think I had 'wasted' a part of my life with someone, who was not 'really into me'; to the extent I was into him. And believe me, after 5 years with Alan, I KNOW he is 'into me! and still!). So, it is never too late to start over again, if you wish! I have a story to share about how Alan and I met; however, that will have to be told at another time. As I may have alluded to in recent posts, our story is worthy of a book, if not a movie / screeplay. I tid you not! We even have some Film Producers, actors/actresses in mind!

Anyway, I accepted the kind invitation of 'Dick' and 'Jane'. One supervisory proviso; my son who was up with some buddies, became like a CHAPERONE; yes, a CHAPERONE to me. Can you believe it? He made various inquiries to 'John'. I was shaking my head; like excuse me, I am an adult here (or so I thought).

I accepted 'Dick's and Jane's generous invitation, so that I could continue to enjoy the 5 of them emerging as a fun group; as well as I am sure my son was just as happy to be without 'Mum' looking over his shoulder and over his buddies. We had a dog (he was about 8 yrs 'young'; and I still called him my 'puppy' - great dog!); I will give him an 'unusual' name too. How about 'Spot?' 'Spot' stayed with the boys; and I was given the 'go ahead' to be 'allowed' (LOL!) to stay with the others; that is, after my son confirmed that I was sleeping in my OWN room, by MYSELF. 'John' assured him most definitely, that this was the case. It was really all quite hilarious; and 'John' and I spent the next few days...yes folks, FEW days 'kidding about'. It was a wonderful memory that I will always cherish. But, it gets better!

We were clowning around (partly on purpose!)because of the bleak news of 'Jane'; so we were doing our utmost to create laughs; and that we did. 'John' and I were like a 'duet'; a comedy act. We were good; very good, if I tid a bit myself. The invitation by 'Dick' and 'Jane' extended to a 3 day stay; and you know, it was fantastic! Of course, we would walk over to our cottage daily; and my son heartily assured me that eveything, including our 'Spot,' was managing just fine. So, I now reflect, that it was a good bittidz for a good tidbittzed rest for all those concerned. Wonderful friends, excellent created meals, (I 'raided' our kitchen larder & wine supplies to contribute), gorgeous vista; it was great!

Now during all of this, at nights, it started off with six of us; and then after dinner 'nightcaps', and then 'Jane' would retire ('John' and I think that apart from her 'cancer sentence', we may have worn her out, by her own laughter at our overly 'silly' antics to cheer her up!). Then it dwindled down; and it ended up with 'John' and I. We would have such fun and such merriment; and whatever the conversations were, lasted til about 4:30 am! 'Dick' was generally the last one with us; and he gave us a container of - perhaps you have guessed it? - ALMOND ROCA BARS! Well, 'John' and I thought this was 'perfect'; so we would be left with this tin of bars. Well, we do remember that they tasted quite crunchy; and rather hard on the teeth; and 'Dick' told us on the third night, before he went to bed, that the Almond Roca Bars were a gift and were about 5 years old at least! You see, 'John' and I had remarked several times, that the Almond Roca Bars were good; but???? Hmmmmm. You can imagine our surprised looks on our faces when we heard that! So, actually, 'Dick' had the last laugh! LOL! That particular night. 'John' had a 'gift' for me; I never even thought about it; he wanted me to check under my pillow....well, there it was - still a wrapped up Almond Roca bar!!! (there were 6 left untouched, I might add; once 'John' and I heard the history of these 'rock hard' candies).

That was when our 'prankster' days took root. From that moment on, I was like one of the 'Grumpy Old Men'. LOL! The next morning, when 'John' was leaving with the other 2 houseguests, I offered to carry one of his bags; he thought that was really nice of me. Well, after we said our goodbyes on the wharf, I am waving with a smile on my face! YES! He had FIVE Almond Roca Bars in his bag! LOL! And then that is what happened over the next few years...whenever we would see each other, we would go out of our way; quite literally, and play 'jokes' on each other with the Almond Roca Bars. I kept one for 'insurance'; I think that one went back and forth between us several several times.

So, for what is worth, 'John' and I made a difference to 'Jane's' grave news; she had no time to be upset or sad; because we would have her laughing so.

Earlier this afternoon, I was writing some notes, beside the large bowl of 'Almond Roca Bars'; well it almost looked as if one of the (royal blue) bars had partially opened before my eyes? Hmmmmmm. I thought, 'What the heck; okay, 'John', I will enjoy'; and each time I ever see, think, taste an Almond Roca Bar, I will always think of 'John'.

Tidbit - 'You do not know what you have lost, until it is gone'. Very true. As I mentioned in this morning's 'tidbit', communication is vital.

Bittid - Rejoice in the celebration of someone's life. Easier said than done; but it is better to remember the person for whom she / he was; and the grief is easier to bear.

In this case, I know that 'John' would not want any of us to be sad for too long. I think he will happily appreciate my tale! So, Skal 'John'; it was an honour to have known you. We hope you are having a joyful time, and laughing with 'Jane', and gathering 'Almond Roca Bars' in Heaven!

Good Night and God Bless.

No comments: