Sunday 28 September 2008

A glorious Sunday 'Indian Summer' Afternoon!


Good Afternoon, or whatever the best greeting is to you, in your part of the world!

And, a sunny warm afternoon it is! An absolutely gorgeous 'Indian Summer' day!

Before I forget, I will give you the tidbit recipe for the 'Plum Crisp'; Alan thought it tasted awesome! And we served it with ice cream...Mmmmm. If you prefer, you can use whipping cream. The 'Apple Crisp' is taken from the cookbook, 'Food that Really Schmecks', by Edna Staebler. There is also a second book (that we are fortunate to have on our shelf!) called 'More Food that Really Schmecks'. I have made mention about her book(s) in one of my earlier posts; but apologize for not putting my bittid finger readily on the date. Perhaps you can find the blog; I may have included a mouth watering recipe for peanut butter cookies! (They are the best!)

Apple Crisp (can use any tid fruit, methinks!) And Edna Staebler is right; this is 'a delicious old stand-by'.

8 apples, sliced and peeled
1/2 cup white or brown sugar (I used brown sugar!)
1 TBSP flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Topping:

3/4 cup flour or rolled oats (I used flour; but perhaps the rolled oats would be good as well; we did not have any rolled oats handy)
1 cup brown sugar (I really love brown sugar!)
1/4 melted butter (our microwave was great!)

Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt and mix with the sliced apples. Put all in a greased baking dish and cover with the topping mixture which you have rubbed into the crumbs. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes - or until the top is nicely browned and the apples are soft. Serve with sweet or whipped cream.

At this time of year, an 'apple crisp' seems to be that much nicer; and inasmuch as we had plums, thought why not 'improvise!' Plus, it is a very economical dish; so for those that may be feeling the 'pinch'; try the recipe, as it is sure to bring smiles all around the dinner table! Love the word, 'Schmecks'.

Also, I will give you another bittid recipe. - Alan's homemade soup. A friend of ours was over the other day; and she loved it. I had made mention of the soup, within the last week's posts (if you wish to refer to it; however, here is 'Al's Soup', from 'Al' himself. (I call him Alan). This also is good for those 'watching their pennies' and perhaps this will also give you a tidbitz of extra cheer; AND it is easy to do!

Al's Soup

2 chunky soups (meat & vegetable - already prepared)
1 can of water
1 small can of corn
4 medium sized potatoes cut into small pieces (cook separately)
1/2 cup fresh carrots chopped
1 TBSP lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce
1 TBSP Maggi
1 tsp dry 'Colonel Mustard'
1 TBSP 'Bisto' (mix in hot water)
1/2 tsp Tabasco

Oregano, Rosemary, Marjoram, Sweet Basil, some seasoning, salt & pepper.

My tidbit on 'Al's Soup' (delicious!) The potatoes should be cooked separately only to soften them a bittidz, so when added to the pot, they are somewhat cooked! That helps! Also, 'Colonel Mustard' knows what he is doing; provides excellent flavouring. LOL! The herbs are from our garden; which made 'Al's Soup', 'extra special!' Nothing like appreciating and enjoying your own home grown produce!

I think with this period of angst that we are all facing around the world, perhaps these 2 recipes will give you a bit of positive 'pick me up'. Also, I enjoyed watching the Vision Channel this morning; and I heartily recommend listening to the Schullers (Hour of Power), Joyce Meyer (Enjoying Everyday Life), and Charles Price (Living Truth). Their messages are such a wonderful encouragement! Interestingly enough, Charles Price was sharing in earnst about the Armour of God. (I wrote a short bittid on the 'Armour of God' on Sept 25th; and I was further enlightened by Charles' teaching this morning!)

Am going to go for the moment to enjoy the warmth of the sunshine with Alan; so I will be back later today and / or tomorrow, and will share the insights I learned from these 3 remarkable people. However, apart from my tid introduction (see November posts of 11th/18th/25th 2007, for a bit of background if you wish) re: these International Bible Teachers; it is best, methinks for you to check them out for yourselves; to further your growth in Him.

I love the above photo image!

God Bless.

No comments: