Tuesday 19 June 2007

The Sandwich Generation Cycle


While I was 'in the tub' tid moments ago, a bit thought about the "Sandwich Generation" came to me. For whatever reason, I usually have a lot of thoughts whilst in the tub; be it of a Praying nature, or just provocative ideas. No doubt, you have various places of "quiet" where thoughts flash through your minds. Our bathroom has a high ceiling. along with a lofty skylight; so perhaps that is my place of bright solitude. (apart from our garden).

Anyway, the sandwich generation cycle of events unfolds like this usually. You are born, brought up by your parents, you leave the nest, do your thing, then you meet your spouse, have your children, and your lives are all of a sudden, in the fast lane. You may still have connections with your parents, but you now have your own family to bring up and set of responsibilities. Well, alas we all get older. Our parents become aged; and require care - possibly with a caregiver; or in an old age home, if care or medical care is not affordable at the house. Meanwhile, as the child, you do your best to make sure your parents are content and well cared for; meanwhile you are involved with "tough love" with your teenagers. Fine line.

Interesting more so, when you are a single parent. Hmmmmm. And, you worry about your parents and your children's well being. A bit later, the parents pass away; meanwhile your own children are young adults, and perhaps they have met their mates; and then the duplicate process starts all over again. It is like a perpetual tide, constantly coming in and going out.

Now, you may have since become a grandparent; and your grandchilren are growing up right underneath your nose, practically. You may be blessed to see them; or you may be denied in seeing them.

Later years, your children realize that perhaps their parents are actual "people" and not so bad after all. However, the parents (us) might be quite elderly; with not much time left to live, for whatever reason....age or illness.

I am glad that I kept in close touch with my parents when I married and had my children. And yes, I had responsibilities; and there was a time, when I saw less of my parents. Fortunately, I spent a lot of time with them towards the end of their lives; and would like to think that they were uplifted a bittidz. Nonetheless, I was a typical "sandwicher" ( sandwicher - caring for parents and children ). And now, with both my parents having passed away; it is weird. Unavoidable cycle of life.

We are "carrying the mantle" now. We have had our children; and, they are in the process of having their babies; and so forth tidbitz. I am a "young" grandma; however, sadly, have not seen my grandchildren save for a few tid times during this past year. The twins will be a year old in mid July. No doubt, they are most active; and possibly tottering / walking / talking. And just dear, I bet!

Alan's Mum and Dad are in their final days; and as mentioned earlier, the 3 other sibblings have behaved poorly; and we are doing our best to give the parents some degree of happiness before they "depart". Sad but true cycle. I can only say, I hope my children will spend time with us, well before we are in the "twilight zone" ie. in our 80's.

Alan's Dad is now starting to talk more about his past life; he never shared that with his family in his earlier years. Also, when my Mum was alive, Alan and I spent quite a lot of time with her to make her last days as "fun" as possible. My Mum adored Alan; and he her.

Tidbit - I would like to think that parents and children alike can spend more time with each other. So that we can appreciate and know each other at a much earlier stage, rather than cramming things in, at the end; when possibly we, now the aged parents, are not as healthy, or as "with it". However, "better late, than never" is better; than not ever.

I just wanted to share this thought about "sandwichers"; and thought, hmmmmm. this might be of encouraging enlightenment to some of you.

God Bless.

No comments: