Thursday 30 April 2009

'Thank you Dad!'



Good Morning, or whatever is the best greeting to you, in your part of the world!

Well, my Dad passed away eleven years ago today. It seems as if only a few years has gone by! I think of him often; and in yesterday's post, the portrait of the 'pensive' woman also made me think of him. As a boy in Norway, he grew up with this unique painting in his house; and apparently the portrait had always been in his family! Once again, wonder what were the young woman's thoughts?

Writing of thoughts, my Dad was always full of them! I wish I knew more about his early life; however, those that would have any bittids, have all passed away; primarily due to old age. So, I must remember my Dad when I knew him. When I was a youngster, we did many wonderful things together. ie. He would take me skiing. I knew no fear of steep hills then; methinks I was closer to the ground, when I fell; which I am sure I did often! He enjoyed shooting pheasants and ducks; and I would pluckily go with him, even in the rain. Today I do not think I would have the heart to kill any animals; unless it was for sheer survival. The years flew by; and I do remember some good tidbits that my Dad used to say to me.

'Laugh and the world laughs with you; Weep and you weep alone'.
'Life is like a bank account; what you put into it, is what you take out of it'.
'You live only once; so make the best of it'.
'Enjoy your life now; because you are young only once'. (In other words, do not 'waste' it).
'Life' is not a bowl of cherries'.
'Be slow to boil'.

Interestingly enough, all those expressions are good advice! 'Be slow to boil' was how my Dad was; I am of the same 'disposition'. It takes me a long time to become 'annoyed' or angry; however, when I finally reach a 'boiling point', well, then the 'Viking' water boils, shall we say!

Will add, that since I have accepted Jesus into my heart (thanks to Alan), I do my best to even be 'slower to the boil'; even with all the turmoil that is going on around the world today.

My Dad was a very caring, compassionate, and kind man; and he abided by a steadfast and deep Faith, that always stood him in good stead. He was upbeat and positive in attitude, along with a calm and cool thinking 'Viking' resolve; mixed in with humour and endurance. He was held in high regard by all and was a 'mentor' to many.

'Thank you Dad'. And, 'Skal to Absent Friends' (with my cup of coffee on this beautiful sunny Spring morning).

Thought I would also share both posts of April 30 / 2007 & 2008. Gives you a bit of further background; as to the 'tribute' to my Dad.

"April 30, 1998- A Tribute to my Dad! Now, April 30, 2007.

My Dad died on April 30, 1998. He was only 79 yrs old. He had battled cancer for a number of years; then "one day", it spread into his lymph nodes, and he was instantly GONE. He used to say that there are only 2 things you can be sure of in life - death and taxes. Well, our tax date in Canada, is April 30th; and death is death. AND, he died on April 30th; so I am paying a tribute to an awesome person.

THANK YOU, Dad; for what you did for me. I know you did the best you could; and you were first class! My Mum and my Dad adopted me when I was just a tid of a babe. For those that have been adopted, or are considering adoption, I can share a tidbiticle with you.

My parents told me I was adopted, when I was about 5 yrs old. I was (still am, have been told) very inquisitive; and my parents thought it best to tell me, before I found out elsewhere. I remember nodding my head, thinking 'that makes sense' - or whatever a precocious 5 yr old would say... Anyway, my Dad would often say that I was the 'carbon copy' of both he and my Mum - "made to order" - and that it could not have been any better, had they produced a natural offspring. I liked that explanation!

Also, my question - "how did you chose me?" Well, my Dad said it was easy....in the nursery, there you were...we were looking for a baby girl that had a good set of lungs (nothing has changed! LOL!) and that I was the only girl in the nursery; amongst several blue blankets. The blue blankets were all quiet! Hmmmm. I thought.

As I look back, I had a fantastic childhood - both parents did the best they could. We had our moments; but they WANTED me; because they were unable to have children. So, I was a 'selected' choice!

My childhood was wonderful! I was a 'tomboy'; wore a 'Davey Crocket' cap; climbed trees (high up! now, different thinking!), made forts, the works. The people next door to us, were Mr. and Mrs. Lord. Lovely couple -I thought old....but nice. She always baked cookies for after school visits (which were several!) and special occasions! I asked them why they never had any children....their response, was "we have you!". Well, that made me feel good. Then, they added, " We are like the 'Wilsons'" as in Dennis the Menace; and you are the female version. Well, I LOVED THAT! I could relate easily to Dennis the Menace! LOL! My poor Dad would have to go over there quite often to fetch me home; and then hear about the latest 'adventure!'

I guess I bittidulized for a tid of a bit; but I did enjoy my early early years - not to say, that I have not appreciated the years! I appreciate them a lot more now! LOL!

My Dad was, indeed, a wonderful man; I realized it more when he was no longer with us; and to this day, I know that he was an exceptional human being; and a self starter and a visionary. All those who knew him, would appreciate what I am saying; and I MISS both him and my Mum. So, I will say "Skal & Absent Friends" - a Norwegian custom. My 'earth Dad' was Norwegian.

I did a bit of a tid of checking who my blood parents were / are. It so happens, both sets were / are Norwegian! YES! I wanted to know for medical history reasons; because of my children. When filling out 'applications forms' or whatever, I would always be asked about health history of the blood parents; and I wanted to have more clarity. Well, I was told that the blood parents were very young when they had me; they were both athletes (hence my tree climbing abilities at an early age! LOL!), and that there was nothing to suggest ill health etc. If the blood parents are alive today, they would be in their mid 70's approx. I have left it alone; because my parents who brought me up, WERE / ARE my parents.

A tidbituary - I was having dinner one night with my parents; very casual; and my Dad asked me if I had heard from the Adoptive Renunion Agency. Well, you can imagine my surprise! I said, yes - today. Meanwhile, my Mum is having a fit; and worrying that I "might be taken away from them!" I quickly assured her that - no way...because of my age etc. But that tells you, how much she cared. - LOTS! That just choked me up a bit of a tid; even now as I post. Hmmm. God Bless her and him. I then told my Dad, that "I knew all along that I was Norwegian; stubborn - like you Dad...." Well, what could he say! LOL!

Tidbit - If I can give any advice, or helpful suggestion, spend time with your family; before it is too late. We tend to take our lives for granted; particularly with the "older folk" - that we can see them anytime...well, it does not exactly work that way.

However, I do know and have comfort that my Dad is no longer suffering. He is in HEAVEN with his beloved wife, my Mum; who loved him to bits.

Thank you to those who read this posting. It is indeed, honouring my Dad. He was a special guy.

Good Night and God Bless. Please feel free to comment, if you would like.

Oh, a further Bittid - The photo image of the Queen Elizabeth rose, was one of my Dad's favourite flowers. He grew roses; a great gardener, with a green thumb! I gave him a Queen Elizabeth Rose; and it still looks FABULOUS! We have since moved into their townhouse; and we will plant our Queen Elizabeth Rose beside 'his'; and I think the two rose bushes will provide many years of pleasure! Such a beautiful pink colour! One of my favourite colours and roses!

And, I thought this was going to be a short post! LOL!"


April 30th, 2008 post in my Dad's memory" - 'My Dad loved Roses'.

"In closing, my Dad died 10 years ago; hard to believe that the time has gone by as quickly! I did a Tribute to Him in my blog, of April 30/07, if you care to read it. We miss him; but at the same time, we know he is in a happy place, called Heaven. The above photo image, is of the 'Queen Elizabeth Rose'; my Dad loved that particular rose; and, I do as well! "Skal, Dad! Here is to Absent Friends". 'Absent Friends', is a Norwegian custom, hence toast; that remembers those that are not with us; either by their passing, or just not being present at the time".

We have a full day coming up; however, I wanted to share some posts in 'special' memory of my Dad today.

Peace and God Bless.

No comments: