Monday 28 December 2009

A pink rose in December!























Good Evening, or whatever is the best greeting to you, in your part of the world!

Eventhough, yesterday and today have been at a much slower pace; the hours still have managed to whirl by us! Yesterday morning, I slept in; and alas missed the 'Hour of Power' (Dr. Robert Schuller - www.hourofpower.org); however, was able to appreciatively watch 'Enjoying Everyday Life' (Joyce Meyer - www.joycemeyer.org) and 'Living Truth' (Charles Price - www.livingtruth.ca). Will share some tidbits in the next day or so.

However, to pick up what I missed from 'Hour of Power', I went online and was delighted to hear the guest speaker, Pastor Josh McDowell! As it happens, my husband Alan, has given away many of his books. ie. 'Evidence Demands a Verdict', to those who appear to be at crossroads in their lives and / or filled with queries concerning Faith. Josh was excellent; and I will gratefully listen to the rest of 'Hour of Power' in a bit. To help encourage those of you, who wish to further 'Seek and Ye Shall Find', here are some of the many insights shared by Pastor Josh McDowell.

"In the University I truly believed Christians had two brains: one that was lost and the other's who were out looking for it. I thought Christians were walking idiots. I met some and was challenged by them. I wanted to know what made a difference in their lives and they said Jesus Christ. I just laughed at them. Then they challenged me to intellectually examine what they said. After much persuasion, I did set out to prove them wrong, probably because I was ticked off.

So I set out to write my first book, Evidence That Demands a Verdict. It would be against Christianity. After going to five countries gathering evidence, I returned to London, England. As I sat in a small museum library, six thirty at night on a Friday, I leaned back in my chair and right in front of everyone, which was probably three people, I said, "It's true, it's true, it's true!"

That brought me, a number of months later on a Saturday night, to place my life in Christ the Savior and Lord. My life was literally changed upside down almost overnight. This is my fiftieth year in ministry, and I'm thankful for that. I think Dr. Schuller started ministry around the same time - when the Dead Sea was not even sick! But it's been a long haul."

Am going to return to the tale at the end of the Christmas dinner evening. If you wish, you can refer to my Dec 26th post, 'The BEST Christmas ever!' if you wish a few bittids. My son stayed on for another hour or so; and it was extra special to have enjoyed a fun visit with him. He thoughtfully, gave both myself and my daughter, the book 'Chicken Soup for the Soul - Celebrating Mothers & Daughters'; and there were a number of wonderful sayings he read to me. One of them is found in 'The Reluctant Rosebud'. ie. There is a quote by James M. Barrie and he says: 'God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December'. Interestingly enough, we have ONE pink rose in bloom in our tidbit garden! When you enlarge the photo, you will see the magnificent pink rose! What a Blessing, methinks! Last year, we were entrenched with heavy snowfall; quite the refreshing contrast this year!

We were out and about this afternoon; and ended up taking meals (nine full bags) to various 'Street People'; ie. The 'Homeless'. We fearlessly 'looked for them' and found them, in various bittid alleys and railway tracks. And wow! Alan and I are all the more Thankful for our Blessings and a roof over our heads! These people have not recently seen a meal; let alone a TLC 'Christmas care package' of food. 'Food, Glorious Food', keeps coming vividly to my mind! The movie musical, 'Oliver' was so illuminating! Our hearts and compassion went out to these 'Street People'. There was also one young woman (who was quite pretty), but her face was distorted horridly by drugs. However, we left her with food and a vest, that Alan had to put on for her. We are Prayful, the food will nuture her today; and that the vest will keep her warm during these cold winter days and nights.

Regardless of one's circumstances / challenges, always best to give and to uplift others! You feel so much better as a result; as you discover your problems are scarce. Particularly, compared to the harsh conditions of the 'Street People'; who are faced more with the reality of death, rather than in their striving struggles to survive.

Earlier in the day, I was soaking in our bath tub (for me, our bathroom is a quiet place for me to have a personal 'Prayer / Talk Dialogue' with Him); and before too long, I was 'Guided' to "Get up! Give away some of the jackets you do not use!". So, I gathered up six jackets (were also from my Mum and my Aunt; that I hoped to wear; but never did), along with a pair of winter boots that Alan does not need. Since, we were not able to locate any more of the 'Street People' today, (they had already 'disappeared' for the day); we have the clothing ready to give to the 'Union Gospel Mission'. Their awesome organization provides so much to so many!

Also, on our way home, we were Blessed with the amazing view of the majestic mountains; with the last rays of the afternoon sun radiating in full force upon them! That glorious sight will remain forever etched in my tid memory; as we would have not seen this glowing scene from our home.

Alan is presently creating up a storm with turkey leftovers in a huge cauldron of yummy turkey soup! It smells so good; and we will be savouring some of this for our dinner tonight! Our neighbours love Alan's homemade turkey soup; and there will be enough to 'spread the wealth'; or rather to 'spread the soup!' LOL!

Today most businesses and banks were closed; inasmuch as Christmas fell on a Friday. Tomorrow will be a full day; as we have appointments set up. My son will be coming over for Alan's turkey soup tomorrow evening.

Peace and God Bless.

No comments: