Tuesday 21 December 2010

Giving and uplifting others


Good Afternoon, or whatever is the best greeting to you, in your part of the world!

It has been awhile since my last post of December 10th; which happened to be our 8th wedding anniversary. Given the tougher moments and turmoils as of late, we were appreciative of celebrating a quiet evening at home.

To recap this past week or so. Eventhough as of late, we are without income presently (due to a devious, greedy and malicious situation; which we are steadfastedly working towards resolving); we still managed to 'give' to others less fortunate than ourselves. ie. We have a street person friend; whom we have always befriended. Apart from giving him change, we also give him some homemade soups, along with other tidbitz food delights. I kidded with Alan that maybe our friend might have some spare bittidz coin to give us? LOL! We recently gave him a box of four chicken noodle soups (from Costco); and just seeing his eyes light up, and a big warm smile, was a huge uplift to our spirits.

We also went to the local shopping centre, and my baker friend literally offered me a cup of coffee and a Christmas butter tart. She perceived I was not my usual self. I am thinking the tidbit thought: 'What goes around, comes around.' So a big thanks for her kind uplift!

Plus while we were at the bakery, a man was watching both myself and my baker friend. I felt as if I was under close scrutiny; but it did not frighten me. As it happened, he approached my baker friend and she gently shook her head to his request (for work, methinks). I immediately discerned that this person was very sad; so I went up to him and spoke to him. It turns out that he is originally from Mexico and has lived here for eight years and has fallen upon hard times. I introduced him to Alan and they enjoyed a smoke and a chat outside.

Meanwhile (because of my friend's kindness to me) it was as if I was an exhuberant magnet; and my baker friend was instantly 'provided' with a whole flurry of customers (at my enthusiastic recommendation, they bought Christmas butter tarts, as well as other tasty goodies. LOL!). So again, 'What goes around, comes around.' 'Pay it Forward.' I also think the Holy Spirit was / IS at work!

'Marco', the Mexican, and ourselves exchanged email addresses. He wrote us a wonderful letter of thanks; saying that at that precise moment when I came up to him, he was in a major state of financial despair. That he was a God fearing man; but at that very moment, he no longer felt he had the strength to keep on Praying to God for help. Another bittid food for thought, 'There are no coincidences.' Also, to never give up Praying to Him. We will keep in touch with our new friend and do what we can for him.

Also, a 'fatherly figure', who is dear to my heart, has recently lost his spouse to cancer. I was not sure what to do to be of an uplift. I ended up giving him my Bible. We bought it from Costco four or five years ago; and it is beautifully bound, with Fresco pictures, a family tree, special dates to remember, the whole nine yards. Plus it is in BIG PRINT - extremely easy on the eyes!

I have another Bible, that I read from; and I immediately thought I can not read from two Bibles at the same time! So 'give it away and gladly!' It turns out that he was receptive and loved the gift. He added that he has not read much of the Bible; and that he will read it with interest. ('Seek and Ye Shall Find', I am thinking!). He is an avid reader. I also suggested that the Psalms offer much encouragement and comfort. However, my main thought was / is to give him an uplift and a comfort (plus it might soften his heart towards others; whom perhaps he has not treated as well over the years). I also left it with him, that if he would like a visitor, or if he needed any help, or a drive to wherever, to just simply give me a call.

Also, we were shown a heartfelt kindness by a good friend and her husband yesterday; as they brought over a 'care package' for us. Their wonderful hamper included a ten pound turkey, a package of tomato basil rice, salted and unsalted butter, a tin of salmon, imperial strong fort cheddar cheese, frozen chicken pieces, a case of beer (Labatts Blue), and a two litre (in a soda pop bottle! LOL!) of their homemade batch of red wine; along with frozen mini cheesecakes. Last night, we appreciated a 'subway dinner', along with a glass of their wine (me), a beer (Alan), and a few mini cheesecakes for dessert, while we were watching a touching Christmas movie on T.V. Given the 'trials and tribulations' we have experienced, this, indeed, was a splendid treat!

Also, the 'subway dinner' was graciously given to us by my son. The 'subway gift card'; and coupons, gave us a wonderful dinner for free!

This year, Alan and I are giving gifts from our home; as we are not able to buy presents. We have amassed a lot of things over the years; and we are just as happy to give of our 'things' to our family and treasured friends. The Christmas Spirit of celebrating Christ's birth, lies in the joyful 'giving;' and this particular Christmas will be all the more special to us; ie giving gifts straight from the heart. It is super to buy presents; however, giving 'things' from one's abode, can be heartwarming as well, methinks.

Also, as a gesture of gratitude, we gave my son four small exquisite silver goblets, marked from Spain; and to our 'hamper friends', we gave them a small silver bud vase.

Also, we were at a lovely Christmas gathering on Saturday night; and it was the best party ever. In that, a lot of people were / are feeling the financial pinch and the economic crunch; and have re evaluated their lives and how they treat others etc. My two bits worth were; that I have come to a point where that 'I am not into any more 'B.S.' and that genuine and down to earth people, is where it is at. Period.' "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" are truthful tids that radiate my heart and permeate my mind.

Yesterday morning, we went to the doctor's; as Alan has a large growth that had suddenly mushroomed on his shoulder. It is benign fortunately; he could get it removed, but that costs money - which we do not have right now. However, we have many other Blessings to be grateful for!

Also, my daughter called and invited us to Christmas dinner to their home on Christmas night. This is the first time that Alan and I have not put together a Christmas dinner. Needless to say, we are delighted with their kind invitation, and we are looking forward 'with bells on', to partake in the joyful festivities. She suggested that my son would drive; hence Alan and I can enjoy a glass or two of wine, without worrying about the drive home. We have been asked not to contribute any food; however, we will 'round up a bit of something', as we do not wish to go empty handed from the larder. Also, re: gifts, I let her know that Christmas is more important to celebrate with each other and not about the gifts. Of course, with little ones, a different story. We were fortunate to purchase a gift for our twin grandsons. We will locate some 'special' items from home; that hopefully, my daughter, her husband, and my son will enjoy over the years.

The other night, we watched the Christmas movie, 'One Magic Christmas.' Very heartfelt; has an interesting story line about the family being in 'dire straights.' Actually, there are a lot of good 'down to earth' movies on the Vision Channel etc. So, for those of you, who may be feeling a bit downcast, discouraged, etc, you may be given some hope and encouragement from them. Also, the following two verses from the Bible really uplift my spirits. Perhaps, they will do the same for you. ie. Proverbs 3:5-6 - "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto youe own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path."

It is the first day of winter here; however, unlike the two beautiful cosy pictures, it does not appear, that we will be having a 'white Christmas' in our tid part of the world. I love the two photo images; both portraying very lovely tranquil winter scenes.

I hope to share another post or two with you before Christmas. If not, then here is wishing each and every one of you, a very Merry Christmas! And may you have a 'generosity of spirit', love, and give generously and joyfully of your hearts! Random acts of kindness are greatly appreciated; both by the giver and the recipient! Eventhough it is nice to receive, it is better (very rewarding) to give. Upon tid reflection, we have noticed that He very definitely has 'sustained' us throughout each and every day; and we have been provided with daily wonderful and extra Blessings. We have much to be thankful for. 'Praise Him In ALL Things.'

Peace and God Bless.

.

No comments: