Wednesday 15 February 2012

In memory of our beloved Blue Heeler, Blue























Good Morning, or whatever is the best greeting to you, in your part of the world!

It is in the 'wee' tid hours of the morning here. However, I could not sleep and thought I would write a post.

Our beloved 'pup' of seven years, passed away at midnight on February 12th. We are just devasted and feel so sad. Blue was our 24/7 wonderful family companion for seven years. Our house feels totally empty without him. I keep thinking the noises I hear are him and even can smell his presence. Weird.

He had his moments of ups and downs; and over the weekend, he just went downhill. We took him into the vet on Sunday, to have some of the fluid build up drained, as he was not able to eat, had trouble walking, etc. His stool was black to boot. The vet took out app seven cups of fluid and apparently there were many more litres of fluid still within him. We had the option of leaving him overnight at the vet's but decided we wanted him home with us, where he could rest more comfortably etc.

We also had the hope that because some of the fluid had been drained, his appetite would return etc and that in a few days, we would take him back to the vet for a bit more of fluid drainage. It is a very fine line procedure; can not take out too much fluid, as there had to be enough fluid still left. However, Blue had lots remaining and we were prepared to take him in every few days or whatever, to gently continue with the drainage treatment. The liver was so damaged that everything else went wonky and closed down.

The prognosis was not good and it was simply a matter of bittidz time. Me, being the eternal optimist, suggested that Blue just might 'pull through' by a miracle. The kind vet had compassion and empathy but both he and Alan had the more pragmatic approach.

Will mention that when we picked Blue up from the vet (a few hours later on Sunday afternoon), the dog walked just fine (well perhaps a tid wobbley), wagging his tail all the while. When he came home, he just wanted to remain outside on the covered patio (like the Saturday night before). He was lying on his blue quilt, all nicely wrapped up and warm. We sat bundled up with him for several hours, taking turns until he came in.

On Sunday evening, it was raining and as the damp goes right through one, we carried him in and up the stairs, when we turned in for the night. However, a couple of tidbit tales. Blue was not hungry and turned his nose up at everything (save a bit of water) and I ultimately gave him a piece of a cookie, which he took somehow very gently with his mouth and paw. He then very carefully placed the cookie piece in his paw and lay down on his pillow, with his head tenderly resting on his paw. That provided me with such a comfort, that I knew I would never forget. The other tale that will be etched forever in my memory, was a short bittid later, I was silently Praying and asking God as to what His Will was for Blue. If Blue was suffering, then I know He would take care of Blue; be it in Blue moving on and / or rising up and living. Well, as I was thinking these thoughts, I happened to open my eyes and there was Blue, SITTING UP, LOOKING UP ABOVE (for a few minutes), THEN GAZING STEADILY AT ME (with his beautiful blue eyes)FOR WHAT SEEMED LIKE A LONG TIME, AND THEN HE LOOKED BACK UP (above) and then lay down very quietly (almost resigned). Again, I sensed Blue knew something I did not or put it this way, he had some form of communication from above.

The cookie was one of the 100 cookies I baked that Sunday afternoon, when we brought Blue back from the vet. The house was filled with the smell of freshly baked cookies. Small wonder Blue was happy to remain close to the kitchen at that time, eventhough his appetite had not returned. I am not a great baker; however, I wanted to bake up some bite size sugar cookies for our twin grandsons for Valentine's Day. The plan was to give them each their own little care package of cookies, cinnamon hearts, gummie hearts, and jelly jube jubes. Plus a nice card. I liked the tidbit message so much, that I gave them both the same 'Grandson' card."You are always loved (every single minute) That's why this special Valentine has so much love tucked in it! Happy Valentine's Day. XOXO" Also, in the cards I included, 'may each and every little bite be full of love!'

Blue passed away upstairs. We think his heart finally gave out etc. Alan and I wrapped him up very carefully in a sheet and a bag of sorts (did not cover his head) and carried him awkwardly to the car. (actually Alan carried him, I just opened all the doors etc). It was not funny; but it was 'funny' to be carrying a body, under the guise of night and in pouring rain.

We took Blue to the vet on Monday morning. We made the decision to have him 'communally' cremated as opposed to having him privately cremated, whereby we would have his ashes in a nice little urn. Well, we do not need an urn and it was a lot cheaper to have it done communally. But get this, the communal ashes are all scattered in a farmer's field(s). I thought what a great idea; as that will wonderfully fertilize all the crops. We still have our other dog, Rocky's ashes, (in a cardboard box), and I am going to give the vet his ashes as well for the same purpose. We had had another spot designated for our Rocky, but we were not able to work out the bittid details, put it that way. So, this is actually a much better plan!

I did ask God about Blue, as to His Will, Purpose, and Plan. Well, with the passing of Blue, I believe that his death has brought family members more together. Everyone was kind and generous in their condolances. Alan and I are very appreciative of their genuine gestures. We are very thankful for family and in these types of situations, when the family comes together and rallies around, that really touches our hearts (my eyes are welling up with tears). Even the vet sent us a beautiful basket of yellow spring flowers. I had earlier said to Alan that it would be nice to have a flower on our coffee table. (I am thinking for Valentine's Day. LOL!) Then presto, the refreshing and uplifting flowers arrive, a short time after we arrived home from the vet's.

As you can imagine, we were pretty bunged out. The day (Monday) itself was a magnificent one, with brilliant warm sunshine glowing everywhere! We sat outside on our patio and had a couple of stiff drinks. A mini wake, if you will. We thanked Him for Blue and the fact that we were given him as a Blessing for seven years. We basked in the gentle rays of the sun and that was a bit of soothing comfort.

I hope dogs are in Heaven and if so, perhaps God has given our special Blue Heeler the task of herding all the dogs etc in Heaven. Alan suggested perhaps even the sheep. I added that I hope that Blue will be amongst the first of the line to welcome us into Heaven, when it is our time. And may he now and always be at peace, joyful, happy, and wagging his tail all the while! A tidbitz, a friend of ours has a picture in his Bible of an 'angel' holding a fish, and there is also a dog with blue eyes standing beside him, who looks exactly like our Blue. Uncanny!

My son and his girl friend invited us over for dinner and that was all the more appreciated; and a far nicer way to spend the evening; and particularly under the circumstances. The next morning (Valentine's Day), Alan and I surprised the little grandsons at 8:00 am before they left for kindergarten. They were finishing their valentine day cards for their classmates. Brings back so many memories to me, as if it were yesterday when I was doing the same thing, both with my children and when I was a child.

Also on February 14th, Alan's Mum passed away. Hard to believe that was four years ago. So, it was a day of sadness, of reflection, and of thankfulness. When Alan's Mum passed away on the 14th, I immediately said to Alan (more as a bittidz of comfort), that as she was full of love and so special, it was the perfect day for her to go to Heaven.

Before I sign off (the sandman is beckoning. I think I will be able to sleep better tonight), wanted to share something that Joel Osteen said in an earlier Vision T.V. service. Basically, Be Bold when Asking God for what you want. It is fine to Ask Him for your needs, but go further, do not limit Him. Expand your thinking into macro. ie. Ask your request, but Ask for it in abundance, and add something extra that will also benefit somebody else. Anyway, that made a huge impact om me. I have been following what he was saying, and it does make a difference! I have to admit that eventhough I am sad about Blue, I have to think that Blue's passing has a Purpose.

The above is a picture of our Blue. We will get another pup, but we will let the dust settle first. We would like to find another 'Blue', that is a Blue Heeler, with the beautiful blue eyes and wonderful markings. Blue was a cross between a Blue Heeler and an Australian Shepherd; but he had more Blue Heeler in him. (He looks very similar to a Blue Heeler / Border Collie cross too). Guess you can guess what name we would call him! When the timing is right, we will do our due diligence in Prayer and Ask Him to send us another Blue!

Well, I am dozing off. Thank you for reading this. I Thank Our Heavenly Father for our Blessings too. 'Praise Him in ALL Things.'

Peace, and God Bless.

No comments: